Online boutique - that's what my newest business is. I've been on this business for two years now and I faced its ups and downs. It's a good thing I invested on one of the managed servers provided by a very good server host provider. My business flourished and we have more than 20 computers taking more than 100 orders a day from different parts of the globe.
I had an unmanaged server before. I employed a full-time technician who did all the troubleshooting and maintenance of the network. We had virus and malware attacks. One computer has been hacked. The technician cannot handle it all and he quit the job. I'm left with my employees. We didn't know what to do when a computer doesn't work so we ended up not using it. Working computers went down to 13. Business was slow then, and I thought I'm spending more than my overhead expenses. It was almost over then.
One of my suppliers suggested that I have my network managed by online hosts. He suggested that I do a little internet research on which providers provide full technical support for managed servers. I had to think about it for a few days before I decided to switch to another host who provide managed dedicated servers.
And so I called my server provider and told them what happened. Turns out they employ highly technical people who can resolve issues remotely. I have no idea what they did, but after an hour, everything's back to normal. Apparently something happened with the firewall and they managed to tweak it around so I will be able to get on websites again. They saved me a lot of time: Had I purchased a new router, I would have to configure everything again.
They saved me a lot of money: Hey, that business router costs a lot, and all I have is a 10-computer network which worked perfectly for more than a year. They saved me from those calls: Just imagine irate pet lovers calling the business line, the fax line and my personal cell. Getting a managed server is worth the cost. If I hadn't switched server hosts, I wouldn't be in this business anymore!
I had an unmanaged server before. I employed a full-time technician who did all the troubleshooting and maintenance of the network. We had virus and malware attacks. One computer has been hacked. The technician cannot handle it all and he quit the job. I'm left with my employees. We didn't know what to do when a computer doesn't work so we ended up not using it. Working computers went down to 13. Business was slow then, and I thought I'm spending more than my overhead expenses. It was almost over then.
One of my suppliers suggested that I have my network managed by online hosts. He suggested that I do a little internet research on which providers provide full technical support for managed servers. I had to think about it for a few days before I decided to switch to another host who provide managed dedicated servers.
And so I called my server provider and told them what happened. Turns out they employ highly technical people who can resolve issues remotely. I have no idea what they did, but after an hour, everything's back to normal. Apparently something happened with the firewall and they managed to tweak it around so I will be able to get on websites again. They saved me a lot of time: Had I purchased a new router, I would have to configure everything again.
They saved me a lot of money: Hey, that business router costs a lot, and all I have is a 10-computer network which worked perfectly for more than a year. They saved me from those calls: Just imagine irate pet lovers calling the business line, the fax line and my personal cell. Getting a managed server is worth the cost. If I hadn't switched server hosts, I wouldn't be in this business anymore!
About the Author Fed up with of over-hyped web hosts that have horrible uptime? DedicatedNOW has won many awards for the support included with their servers. Visit dedicatednow.com to check them out.
No comments:
Post a Comment